Friday, February 1, 2008

Blog #1

1. The writer's adage is as follows:Reading is breathing in; writing is breathing out.Why is reading so crucial for a writer? Whenever I've heard writers speak--be it playwrights, novelists, or poets--they talk about the importance of reading. In Pat Conroy's memoir My Losing Season, in fact, he goes into great depth about the books he was devouring at that point in his life and what they meant to him.So, talk about the role of reading to the writer and why it is important. If you disagree, then explain why you think OTHERS think it is important. Write at least 100 words.

I think reading is a very important part of anyones education and general knowledge. Reading lets the person explore leaps and bounds that may not have had the chance to otherwise. Reading also helps to open people's minds to new things and help to connect people though a common languge. Another reason why reading is important is literacy. I think that being literate is crucial to the human experience and helping to empower people. Books give people hope and can explore emotions that one never knew they had.

2. What is something you see in your world that concerns you? This could be something among your peer group, something you see in America, or something you see in the world. What is your interpretation of this topic, and why do you feel that way? Write at least 75 words about it.

A major thing that concerns me in the world is America's economy. We have begun to enter one of the worst recessions of our time. Plumeting stocks and rising fuel costs are just a few of the things involved in this recession that concern me. People are more concerned about saving money now and not investing in the stock market or putting money into our now fragile economy. Only just a year ago did the DOW reach an all time high of more than 1300 and now we are worried about this quater being the worse since 1987 or 1992. Its pitiful how much people don't seem to care nor do they think that this will have any long term effects on our country.

3. What is one piece of art (painting, movie, book, song, whatever) that has greatly inspired you? What is that piece and what about it has inspired you? Explain in detail. Write at least 100 words.

One piece of work that has greatly inspired me has been the television show Scrubs. It is hilarious, clever and heart warming. The show deals with situtions in which I hope to encounter when I am a doctor. It makes me laugh and I find humor necessary attribute to survival. This is a show that my friends and I can watch without having to know everything about medicine yet still enjoy the funny yet descrete jokes about it. It inspires me in the way that I find scrubs to look good and want to wear them and name tags with funny pictures make me smile. Scrubs has inspired me to want to work in medicine and laugh about things along the way.

No comments: